Sibhaca Tradition Dance

Sibhaca Tradition Dance
Prize Giving Day at a Local High School

Friday, March 18, 2011

Multi Purpose Vuvusela


You may remember the vuvusela from the World Cup.  At least I know my grandmother does- she watched the entire World Cup with the sound down, as these popular horns were too irritating for her to listen to. 
I’ve seen my share of crazy vuvusela’s in Swaziland.  I’ve seen beaded ones, giant ones, and ones used by companies as a marketing tools.
Before Christmas, I went to a Rotary sponsored Christmas Carol Night where Rotarians sang carols and had gifts for children at a local orphanage.  I nearly died when Santa emerged with, you guessed it, a vuvusela!  No one batted an eye, except for me, who was laughing hysterically at the back.  I suppose that sleigh bells aren’t really relevant in a place with no snow, so why not a vuvusela?  The South African flag was painted on it, so it was actually red and green- how perfect! 
            Christmas time was a bit challenging for me in Swaziland this year, as so many of our traditions in the US aren’t really celebrated here, and Swazis don’t have a lot of their own traditions.  But celebrating with Rotarians, singing carols, and meeting up with them for a lunch and afternoon of fun/crazy games helped me celebrate.  At first I thought, how can I celebrate without my family, with no stockings, and when it’s hot?  I guess the answer is, you bust out a vuvusela!  Kisimusi lomuhle- Merry Christmas!

No comments:

Post a Comment