Sibhaca Tradition Dance

Sibhaca Tradition Dance
Prize Giving Day at a Local High School

Thursday, April 28, 2011

Luyengo Campus vs. Kansas City


During my time preparing for and participating in the Intervarsity Games, I had the opportunity to meet students from all three campuses of the University of Swaziland.  I found that I really connected to many of the students at the Luyengo campus. 
It’s funny, I find that this happens often.  When I was studying in India, it seemed that the majority of the people I connected with were from the province of Rajistan.  And back in the US, my home is definitely in Kansas City. 
It is wonderful having these connections with people and feeling like they are your friends and family.  I visited the Luyengo campus this week to see my friends and we were making plans to go to the Intervarsity competition in Lesotho next year as spectators.  When making future plans I usually have a problem, because I’m never sure which continent I’ll be on.  When my friends started to give me trouble about leaving in June, I reminded them that I have a whole other set of friends that I miss and who are expecting me to come back.
I can’t make everyone happy.  Then I started to think, am I happy?  Yes, but it’s getting complicated.  Eventually I’ll have to make a choice.  Can I really live in Swaziland for the rest of my life?  Would I be happy in the US?  Was it really smart to give such a big piece of myself to a country so far away? 
I don’t know the answers to these questions.  What I do know is that I am grateful to have such wonderful and understanding friends and family standing with me through these times of adventure, growth, and decision.  Only time will tell.  May the best country win!

No comments:

Post a Comment